Monday, March 23, 2009

I've had an epiphany...

I've decided to stop dieting.  

Now, before you scream "blasphemy!" and beat me into submission, let me say that dieting has just not been working for me.  I'm not going to stop losing weight, just stop dieting.  

I've really been doing some soul searching the last few days.  Learning why I'm so inclined to overeat.  Why I'm so food obsessed.  Why food is the "answer" to me.  And I realized that food is not my enemy.  The way I relate to food is the issue.  It's not the food that needs to change, it's me.  I've decided that it's time I start listening to my body again.  I tapped into that so well with my pregnancy and birth, so why not let that guide me in this weight loss?  I've come to the realization that just because I was successful with WW's after I gave birth to Amelia doesn't mean it's the only tool I can use.  And to be quite honest, right now I cannot think about another point. 

So, I've only got a few rules:

  1. Eat only when I'm physically hungry and stop when I'm full. 
  2. Eat whatever I'm craving.

Day two on this and I'm down 2 lbs.  That includes tacos, bake bre, salad with REAL dressing, loaded baked potato, coffee cake, mochas, sauteed veggies with olive oil and salt, sour cream, butter, you name it.  I just can't buy another fat free product right now. Maybe I will in the future, but for now I want to eat what I like.  Now, I'm not saying I'm going to live on junk food- I actually do like healthy food- but what's a girl gotta do to get some real cheese up in here? And  there is a time and place where a girl needs to have some chocolate too.  

So this is where I'm at.  I'm actually quite excited and happy about it.  I feel free.  I've stopped in the middle of several meals the last few days and had an entire half of my plate still full.  But I was full, so I didn't eat it.  Sometimes that meant quickly putting the plate down on the floor for my pug to eat before I changed my mind (she can get fat, she likes it that way) and sometimes I just put my fork down and exhibited self discipline.  At any rate- I went totally off my body's cues.  It was quite a thrill!  

I have to say I do enjoy this!  I can't lie- I was reminded of all this from a book I read years ago called "The Weigh Down Diet."  All she basically says is that God made your body the way He did and it will tell you what to do.  And "refraining from over indulgence is something all believers should do."  Good point.  So that's what I'm doing.  I'm making friends with food again and promising not to abuse it.  I hereby declare to never buy chocolate flavored styrofoam and ff cheese again.

I'm relearning how to eat and not being obsessed with what I eat. 

Anyway, I still plan to post my tracker and activity.  Just because I like to.

Here's what I had today:

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 mocha

Lunch: 1/2 a turkey sandwich with gouda cheese on a croissant, spring salad with vineagarette.

Snack: mocha, reduced fat coffee cake (I just like the RF version at starbucks)

Dinner:5 mini Trader Joe's chicken tacos with sour cream and peach salsa

Snack:1 piece of 7 grain bread with naturally more peanut butter and honey on top

Water, water, water

I also walked 4 miles this morning with the baby.  


9 comments:

Linda said...

I think that it is great that you are doing this! Sometimes you and your body just needs a break from all of that. That is why I couldn't do WW the 2nd and 3rd time. I was so sick of the points taking over. I was tired of having to plan plan plan. Not saying that I was being lazy, but it was making me obsessed. Good luck to you with this!

Kim said...

AWESOME!!! I rembere the day I did the same thing last July it felt soooo good!!!!
e-mail me if you want the best breakfast smoothie recipe!!!

Jen said...

Sounds like a great plan. And it makes perfect sense: hungry? eat. not hungry? don't.
You're on the right track! Maybe I need to try that.....

Nan said...

Good for you. I vowed when I went back to WW that I wouldn't eat diet food because I don't like the way it tastes and all those chemicals they put in it can't be good for my body! They have even said now that diet sodas are responsible for people eating more calories and have more belly fat! So I say, good for you!!!! This is such an important skill and it seems like you are in a great place! WW is a good program, but you have to make it work theway you like to eat,with some self-control too...no one can live healthily on cheesecake all day everyday!

Unknown said...

I read your blog often but don't really comment. I do appreciate your posts, though! I think this is a great idea. Particularly as a nursing mom I think our bodies give us cues as to what they need for us and for our babies. I know I definitely need to be more mindful of what my body is telling me. Thanks for inspiring me!

Candace and Stuart said...

Awesome!
I actually have read several places that "fat free" and processed foods and drinks (most diet products) actually make your body crave lots more food. Your body doesn't know what to do with these "fake" things.
Eating whole "real" food fills you up and makes your body satisfied and wanting less.

Think you are on the right track...can't wait to see what happens!

Candace

Anonymous said...

Jen, I check your blog a lot, rarely comment. This is exactly the approach I had to take when losing weight after my daughter. WW had worked in the past, but my body fought the plan while bfing. When I just let it go, the weight slowly came off. 7 months pg with baby 2 now and I plan on doing the same thing. It's hard to come to terms with a postpartum body, but you are really inspiring! I'll be checking often as i go about losing my baby weight.

Acacia Leigh said...

Awesome. I think this is great and will work well for you! And I agree with what Candace said from my experience. Yeah, Jen!

Lindsey Elizabeth Burke said...

AWESOME! I hear ya on the FF crap! All that fake SUPER processed junk they call low fat-SICK OF IT too sista!
AND...you did not GIVE UP (your little thing on the right side that says "Pounds lost since I gave up:" You just adjusted to what fit your life. And that is what you are supposed to do! Can't wait to get back in my small pants again too! Who knows...maybe we'll do it the same with losing weight as we did with our pregnancies :) Love you and miss you :) Wish I could enjoy some Mocha with you :)

Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio